APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
Students interested in applying to the program are strongly urged to review the admission requirements, technical standards required of this profession, and tuition and fees for LSUHSC (all found at the bottom of this web page) prior to starting the application process.
The Department of Occupational Therapy at LSUHSC – New Orleans participates in The Centralized Application Service for Occupational Therapy (OTCAS). Applicants applying to the entry-level professional occupational therapist program will apply online using the OTCAS application. To learn more about the OTCAS application process, please visit the OTCAS web site at https://portal.otcas.org/.
Please note that a COMPLETE application is preferred to an early application. We do not admit early, so there is no advantage in applying early. OTCAS has a very small window to allow for edits to your application (usually February-March), therefore, the information on your application will be the information we utilize to make our decisions. We are unable to accommodate any supplemental information being sent directly to our campus other than the official GRE scores and the Document of Experience Forms.
The OTCAS application needs to be completed by the OTCAS deadline of the year prior to an incoming class. A new in-coming class is enrolled each January. Applicants must send official transcripts of all colleges and universities attended directly to OTCAS, as well as self-report their GRE scores. OTCAS will verify the information and send completed on-line applications to the program. Applicants should send official GRE scores and Document of Experience (DOE) Forms directly to LSUHSC Office of Student Affairs, which will be verified by LSUHSC. All supporting documents to the application must be received to OTCAS and LSUHSC by the application deadline to be considered completed. Official GRE scores and completed Documentation of Experience form/s are to be mailed to:
Office of Student Affairs
LSU Health Sciences Center
School of Allied Health Professions
1900 Gravier Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
The OTCAS portal to receive applications opens by Friday, February 1, 2019. The application deadline for the class beginning in January 2020 is June 14, 2019.
1. Please request your official GRE scores from http://www.gre.org/getscore.htm1#addlscrreports. Our School institution code is R6352; Department Code for Occupational Therapy is 0618.
2. The DOE form can be downloaded at the link listed below. DOE forms should be collected and mailed to LSUHSC UNOPENED. The form is to be completed only by a licensed occupational therapist with who you have had 10 hours or more of clinical experience. A total of 40 hours is required for admission. You may therefore have as many as four (4) forms completed by four (4) different occupational therapists at four (4) different facilities or practice settings. You will need to:
- Complete the “TO THE APPLICANT” portion of the DOE form
- Send or deliver a form and self-addressed stamped envelope to the occupational therapist/s that will provide documentation.
- When the DOE form is returned to you in a sealed envelope, place it (them) unopened in a larger envelope and mail to the address above.
3. In-State residents are given admission preference.
4. Admissions is competitive, therefore minimum GPA and/or GRE scores DO NOT guarantee admission.
NOTE 1: If you apply prior to completing your bachelor’s degree or before completing all of the prerequisite courses, you will need to submit two (2) official copies of your transcript to the school after completion of your degree and/or prerequisite courses.
NOTE 2: If you are accepted into the program, you will be required to pay a non-refundable $150.00 acceptance fee. This fee will be applied toward your first academic semester. Request for this fee will be included with the departmental letter of acceptance.
NOTE 3: Questions regarding the occupational therapy program or special circumstances can be directed to OTNO@lsuhsc.edu.