Students interested in applying to the program are strongly urged to review the application process and prerequisite course information found on this web site. Informational sessions are held on the second to last Friday of every month from April through August for all those interested in the program. Accepted applicants are enrolled once a year in the Summer term.
The Department of Physical Therapy at LSUHSC – New Orleans participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service, known as PTCAS. Applicants applying to the entry-level professional physical therapist program will apply online using the PTCAS application. To learn more about the PTCAS application process, please visit the PTCAS web site at www.ptcas.org.
- PTCAS will be open for application on July 5, 2108! (2018-2019 application cycle)
- PTCAS General Application Deadline: October 1, 2018
- The interview dates for Class of DPT 2022: First two weeks of January 2019 (exact dates: TBD).
- DO NOT send your application documents (i.e. official transcripts, GRE score report, clinical observation verification hours forms and reference letters) to LSUHSC Department of Physical Therapy. All of the documents should be sent to PTCAS. These documents need to be received to PTCAS no later than October 1, 2018.
- For submitting your GRE score report, our PTCAS program code is “Louisiana St U HSC New Orleans Phys Therapy (7736).” Using only this code ensures that your report is sent to LSU Physical Therapy on PTCAS. Scores sent using any other code will NOT be accessible to LSU Department of Physical Therapy and your application will be considered INCOMPLETE.
- There is no supplemental application and fee required when you apply to our program. When we offer you a seat (February), you will be asked to pay a $200 seat deposit (non-refundable).
- Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
- As a member of the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT), the Louisiana State University Department of Physical Therapy strives to conform to the Admissions Traffic Rules for Physical Therapist Education Programs. (ACAPT Admissions Traffic Rules)
Employment Rate for Licensed Graduates: 100% (Classes of 2017 and 2018)
Graduation Rate: 97% (Classes of 2017 and 2018)
Licensure Exam Pass Rate: 93.2% first time pass rate; 97.05% overall pass rate (Classes of 2017 and 2018)
Admission to the Entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy program is on a competitive basis and preference is given to Louisiana residents. In order to be considered for admission, the applicant must:
* Complete at least 60 clock hours of practical experience in physical therapy under the direct supervision of a licensed physical therapist by October 1st. If hours are obtained at multiple locations, an applicant must obtain a minimum of 30 clock hours from each site. Additional hours and experience are recommended.
* Hold a baccalaureate degree from a fully regionally or nationally accredited college or university by the date of expected matriculation into the Department of Physical Therapy.
* Submit scores from the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing assessment portions of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). To be considered for admission, an applicant must achieve a minimum score of 296 on the GRE revised GRE General Test. The total score is calculated from the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE that are obtained in one sitting. The department institution code is 7736.
* Have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above in all undergraduate math and science courses. However, the grade trend of the applicant will be considered.
* Satisfactorily complete (grade C or better) all prerequisite courses prior to the Summer term for which the student is applying.
While every effort is made to ensure that this information is up-to-date and accurate, the statements found on this page are for informational purposes only.
Students desiring to apply to the program are strongly urged to attend one of the Informational Sessions which are held during the Spring and Summer in the Physical Therapy Department, located in the Allied Health/Nursing Building, 1900 Gravier Street, 7th Floor. Reservations are not needed to attend an Informational Session.
The dates for the 2018 Informational Sessions are April 27, May 18, June 22, July 20 and August 24. Sessions begin at 1:30 pm.