Kyle I. Happel, MD, FCCP
Professor of Medicine and Interim Section Chief
Section of Pulmonary/Critical Care & Allergy/Immunology
Department of Medicine
LSU Health Sciences Center
New Orleans, LA
University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA
Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner, New Orleans, LA
Ochsner Baptist Medical Center, New Orleans, LA
LSU, Baton Rouge, 1993
LSU School of Medicine, New Orleans, 1997
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, 1997-1998
Internship, Internal Medicine
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, 1998-2000
Residency, Internal Medicine
LSU health Sciences Center, New Orleans, 2000-2003
Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care
Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Pulmonary Medicine; Critical Care Medicine
Pneumonia (community and hospital acquired)
Bacterial host defenses in the lungs, particularly the adaptive immune response
- Wise RA, Holbrook JT, Brown RH, Criner GJ, Dransfield MT, He J, Henderson RJ, Kaminsky DA, Kaner RJ, Lazarus SC, Make BJ, Que LG on behalf of the American Lung Association Airways Clinical Research Centers*. Clinical Trial of Losartan for Pulmonary Emphysema: Pulmonary Trials Cooperative LEEP Trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2022 June 1. Online ahead of print doi: 10/1164/rccm/202201-0206OC. (*Includes Happel KI.)
- Janz DR, Mackey S, Patel N, Saccoccia BP, St Romain M, Busack B, Lee H, Phan L, Vaughn J, Feinswog D, Chan R, Auerbach L, Sausen N, Grace J, Sackey M, Das A, Gordon AO, Schwehm J, McGoey R, Happel KI, Kantrow SP. Critically Ill Adults with COVID-19 in New Orleans and Care with an Evidence-based Protocol. Chest. 2021 Jan 1: 159 (1): 196-204.
- Self WH, Semler MW, Leither LM, Casey JD, Angus DC, Brower RG, Chang SY, Collins SP,… Thompson BT, Brown SM for the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute PETAL Clinical Trials Network*. Effect of Hydroxychloroquine on Clinical Status at 14 Days in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2020 Dec 1: 324 (21): 2165-2176. (*Includes Happel KI.)
- Cahill LM, Fisher KA, Robinson WT, Beiter KJ, Zabaleta J, Tseng TS, Kepper MM, Skizi, MK, Griffiths LA, Uddo RB, Pelligrino NE, Maronge JM, Happel KI, Scribner R, Sothern MS. Asthma status moderates the relationship between neighborhood disadvantage and obesity in African American adolescent females. Obes Sci Pract. 2019 Oct 23; 5(6): 564-569.
- Baker AM, Holbrook JT, Yohannes AM, Eakin MN, Sugar EA, Henderson RJ, Casper AS, Kaminsky DA, Rea AL, Mathews AM, Que LG, Ramsdell JW, Gerald LB, Wise RA, Hanania NA on behalf of the American Lung Association Airways Clinical Research Centers*. Test performance characteristics of the AIR, GAD-7, and HADS anxiety-screening questionnaires for anxiety in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018; 15(8): 926-934. (*Includes Happel KI.)
- Rogers L, Sugar EA, Blake K, Castro M, Dimango E, Hanania NA, Happel KI, Peters SP, Reibman J, Saams J, Teague WG, Wise RA, Holbrook JT. Step-down therapy for asthma well controlled on inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting beta-agonist: A randomized clinical trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018; 6(2): 633-643.
- Holbrook JT, Sugar EA, Brown RH, Drye LT, Irvin CG, Schwartz AR, Tepper RS, Wise RA, Yasin RZ, Busk MF on behalf of the American Lung Association Airways Clinical Research Centers*. Effect of continuous positive airway pressure on airway reactivity in asthma: A randomized, sham-controlled clinical trial. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016; 13(11): 1940-1950. (*Includes Happel KI.)
- Lammi MR, Ghonim MA, Pyakurel K, Naura AS, Ibba SV, Davis CJ, Okpechi SC, Happel KI, deBoisblanc BP, Shellito J, Boulares AH. Treatment with intranasal iloprost reduces disease manifestations in a murine model of previously established COPD. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2016; 310(7): 630-638.